iOS 9 has finally released and you would like to know how to get the iOS 9 update on your Apple device. If you own an iPhone 4S or later, 5th generation iPod or iPad 2 or later running iOS 8, then you are eligible to install the iOS 9. The following devices cannot install the iOS 9 update – original iPhone, original iPad, original iPod touch, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch 2nd-gen, iPod touch 3rd-gen and iPod touch 4th-gen.
One of the advantages of installing iOS 9 update is you will get some or all new features after installing the update. The iOS 9 update is available free of charge. You can install the iOS 9 Over-The-Air update, over Wi-Fi or by connecting your iOS device to iTunes on your computer or Mac.
Three things to do before installing the iOS 9 update on your iOS device
- Update your apps
Any apps that are not updated may not work in iOS 9. If you have not set to automatically update the apps on your iOS device, you need to do it manually. To check if all you apps are updated, follow the steps given below.
Updating apps through App store on iOS device
- Open the Apps store on your iOS device
- Wait for the App store to open and it will find any updates available for the apps installed
- If all apps are updated, your iOS device will flash a message saying “All Apps are Up-to-date.”
- You will see an update button beside the app for which the update is available.
- To update the apps one by one, click on update and wait until the update is installed then continue updating other apps in a similar way
- To update all apps at once, tap on Update all on the top of the screen.
Updating apps through iTunes on Mac or PC
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac or PC
- Click on iPhone or name of your device in iTunes
- Click on Apps and you will see all apps installed on your iOS device
- Click on “Updates” link if it appears. If no update link appears, it means all your apps are updated
- If you want to install all app updates at once, click on “Download All Free Updates”. If you have already signed in with your Apple ID for iOS device, the updates will start downloading. Else, you need to sign in to iTunes with your Apple ID and password to download the app updates.
- Click on Get update beside every app and wait until the update is downloaded
- After downloading all app updates, click on the name of your iPhone or iOS device in the left sidebar
- Click on Sync to transfer updated apps to your iPhone or iOS device
Create backup of your iOS device on iCloud
You may not need the backup but if something goes wrong during an iOS 9 update, you would be happy that you have created a backup of your iOS device. The backup will prevent loss of important personal data such as Contacts, documents, photos, videos, etc. Follow the steps given below to create backup of your iOS device on iCloud.
- Connect your iOS device to a Wi-Fi network
- Tap Settings-> iCloud-> Backup
- Make sure the iCloud Backup is turned on
- Tap Back Up Now
- Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes
- Check whether the backup is successful by tapping on Settings-> iCloud->Storage->Manage Storage and then select your device
- The backup you just created should appear in the list with details (time and backup size)
Free some storage space for iOS 9 update
The iOS 9 update is around 1.3GB but it may vary for devices. To be on the safer side, you should have enough storage space on your iOS device so that update happens smoothly. To free some storage space, follow the tips given below.
- Delete the apps you don’t use. From the Home Screen, hold on the app icon you want to remove and tap on Delete (X) button.
- Delete unwanted photos, music, videos from your iOS device to free some storage space.
- Disable Photo stream. Go to Settings > Photos & Camera > disable My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing.
Once you have completed these important things, you can go ahead and install the iOS 9 update. Before, proceeding with the update, ensure the iOS device is fully charged or you can connect the iOS device to wall socket for charging.
Installing the iOS 9 update Over-the-air.
When the iOS 9 update is released, you will get a notification telling you the update is available. To force your iOS device to check for update, tap Settings->General -> Software update. Your iOS device will then check for iOS 9 update and if the update is available, you just need to follow the instructions on the screen to download the update. Once the update download is complete, tap on Install the update to upgrade your iOS to latest version
Update to iOS 9 using iTunes.
To update your iOS device using iTunes, you need to ensure you have the current version of iTunes (12.2) installed on your PC or Mac. If not, you need to first update your iTunes before using it to update your iOS device to iOS 9. Once you have the latest iTunes, connect your iPhone or iOS device to your computer or Mac and launch iTunes.
Once the iOS 9 update is released, you will get a message saying a software update is available. If you don’t see the message, click on Devices and select your iOS device in the list. Then, click the Check for Update button. You will be prompted to download and install the iOS 9 update. Don’t disconnect your iOS device before the upgrade process is completed.
After the iOS 9 is installed on your iOS device, your device will automatically restart irrespective of the update method you have used.